The American Legion Department of South Carolina

IRS Info/SC Sec of State info/Charter Info

Please call Department Hdqtrs at 803-612-1171 x 35 with any questions

* (Excerpt from The American Legion Officer's Guide)    Posts that have incoporated since receiving their charter must apply for    Supplemental Charter. This brings the legal incorporated status of the post into conformity with its charter status so the         incoporated post may avoid confusion when dealing with the Internal Revenue. However, please be sure your corporate name     MATCHES your charter name.  

*  SC Non-Profit Incorporation form

*  Non Profit Articles of Incorporation Amendment form (your corporate name MUST match your charter name.  If it does not, fill out the      Articles of Amendment to change your corporate name, if you have any questions, please call 803-612-1171 x 35

*  Change of Principal Office-Form Fillable  If your post moves or address changes, this must be completed and sent to SCSOS.

‚Äč*  Supplemental Charter Application

*  Supplemental Charter App Guidelines

*  EIN Inclusion letter- please sent it to Department Headquarters, we put a copy in your post file for post records and forward the original to National.  And please forward a copy of the original letter from the IRS, this also goes in the Post file for future reference. 

*  If your post is incorporated, your post must file the form for registered agent and if the registered agent changes, a new form must be filed with the South Carolina Secretary of State's Office.Service of Process information.  

Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent or both for a Non-Profit Corporation.

Which forms do organizations file?

What's New Responsible party. Beginning January 1, 2014, any entity with an EIN must file Form 8822-B to report the latest change to its responsible party. Form 8822-B must be filed within 60 days of the change. If the change in the identity of your responsible party occurred before 2014, and you have not previously notified the IRS of the change, file Form 8822-B before March 1, 2014, reporting only the most recent change. Complete Form 8822-B as appropriate; use applicable boxes 8a through 9b to report any changes to the identity of your responsible party. See Responsible Party, later, for more information. the US Internal Revenue Service. 

LInk to IRS Form 8822-B for change of Officer/Responsible Party

link to South Carolina 8822 for change of Officer/Responsible Party

All American Legion Posts are required to file an annual return 


Form to File


Gross receipts normally ≤ $50,000
Note: Organizations eligible to file the e-Postcard



Gross receipts < $200,000, and
Total assets < $500,000


or 990


Gross receipts ≥ $200,000, or
Total assets ≥ $500,000



Private foundation




Nonprofit Raffles for Charitable Purposes - For information Click here


1)  Posts that are registered as a Charitable Organization can solicit contributions in excess of $20,000.00 annually.

2)  If your post registers as a charitable organization, you post pays a $50 annual registration fee, and files an annual financial report (990s), with the South Carolina Secretary of State 4 ½ months after the close of the post fiscal year. Form to file as a Charitable Organization here.

3)  If your Post does not solicit charitable contributions in excess of $20,000.00, the post must file to exempt your post from filing as a charitable organization.   Form to file for exemption here.


Exemption forms and registration as a charitable organization forms are both available at at the following link: Organizations

Secretary of State’s Office:

 (803) 734-1790